Re: Tanzanian ISPs move closer to establishing an Internet exchange

It seems a difficult number to estimate, but you can be sure that the
dollar cost of not having a local IX in Africa is much much more expensive
than the same issue for a US or European ISP.

If you take into account the prices that the local telephone companies
charge for leased lines to Europe and the European Internet prices, then
the cost for bandwidth in Africa is many multiples of what US ISPs pay for
bandwidth.  Plus, consider if you don't have a local IX, then the waist of
bandwidth is going two ways -- all the way to Europe or the US and then
back to the local server...

John

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org