Re: IP OVER ATM

Hi,

Some more food for thought for you...

If you have an existing ATM network:

   ...then IP over ATM will work just fine, as IP does on any other
transport media. You just need to be aware of the fact that the ATM cell
size is smaller than the smallest IP packet, so a single IP packet will
require at least two ATM cells to accommodate it. On IP over ATM networks
with typical Internet traffic you will hear people talking about a "cell
tax" of around 30%. In otherwords, 30% of your available bandwidth is lost
because of the ATM overhead. There have been several experiments to
demonstrate the cell tax, one that I was involved in demonstrated an STM-1
"circuit" with theoretical capacity of 155Mbps carrying 149Mbps of traffic
with IP/Sonet and 110Mbps of traffic with IP/ATM before packet loss. Losing
39Mbps to cell tax in this case = lost revenue + extra outlay at no gain.

If you do not have an existing ATM network:

   ...and you are contemplating installing an ATM network just to carry IP,
then maybe you should consider other technologies as ATM is very much a
technology on the way out (like FDDI, X.25, etc). Why can't you run IP over
the native infrastructure? If you want to use cell/frame type technologies,
maybe Frame Relay makes more sense (as Bill Woodcock offered)? No one with
an eye to the future is installing ATM to transport IP these days.

philip

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org