Re: Nigeria's High-Speed Cable -- A Well-Kept Secret? (fwd)

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 01:03  PM, ALAIN PATRICK AINA wrote:

>> IEEE Tech Alert
>> Nigeria's High-Speed Cable -- A Well-Kept Secret?
>> http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/wonews/jun03/fibopt.html
>
> A new challenge for us !! We asked for fiber and got it.
> Then how do we use it ?
>
> Does someone know about  the  bussiness part of  "The submarine SAT-3
> fiber-optic cable" ?

The SAT-3/WASC cable was arranged in approx 1992 by a big meeting of
African countries, African national telcos (which were hard to
distinguish from the governments at that time) and foreign telcos. The
split between African/foreign ownership was about 50/50. The whole
thing was projected to cost about $600 million I think. They were
designing, and laying the cable until the first landing starting
working in the last year in South Africa. For most of the time, the
business aspects have been academic, since there was no product until
it landed.

Of course in 1992 they wouldn't have expected this to be for the
internet, it was seen more as a telephone line thing, and whatever else
might be coming along. The situation with telecomm has changed so much,
but I don't think anyone updated the SAT-3 business model. There are
one, maybe two cable landings in each country, and the massive costs of
the cable were paid by various entities that are now often (like NITEL)
considered provide poor service, not be very nimble, not be very
internet-friendly.

So how to turn this to economic advantage? I don't know. I don't know
how it was done in the West. Perhaps there were multiple competing
cables, that would quickly solve the problem as competition would drive
prices down and usage up. Perhaps that could be arranged here by
dividing the cable into multiple virtual cables, assigning a non-profit
organization (probably not the government) to manage the operations,
and then have competition between the virtual operators.

Benin OPT seems to be making more productive use of SAT-3, (and S.A. of
course) but I haven't seen much news out of other countries where I
hear the landing is operational, like Cameroon.

simon

--
www.simonwoodside.com -- 99% Devil, 1% Angel