[afnog] Backup routing Engine

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jun 13 14:35:15 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 04:23:58 PM ibtisam jamal wrote:

> we dont have

Then that's fine.

Your upgrade procedure will be okay. Just be sure to run a
backup (request system snapshot) of the current system prior
to upgrading.

Also note that since Junos 9, you now require a minimum of
1GB compact flash on the RE's. While I've installed Junos
10.4 on a 256MB compact flash on an M7i (out of
desperation), it's not something I'd generally recommend.

As you will be turning on GRES after you deploy the 2nd RE,
you'll always need to disable it before any other Junos
upgrades. Don't worry, if you forget, the system will remind
you.

Also, one suggestion, after you install the 2nd RE, is to
enable automatic synchronization of the committed
configuration between both the primary and backup RE's.

	set system commit synchronize

If you don't include that command, you have to manually
synchronize the configurations (commit synchronize), which
is easy to forget, and a bad situation to be in if you're
ever in a failover state.

Best of luck,