[afnog] postfix issue

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Thu Jun 28 15:25:21 UTC 2012

SOME Pinguéné Ferdinand F (some) writes:
> That is the result of telnet:
> telnet mx-eu.mail.am0.yahoodns.net 25
> Trying 77.238.177.9...
> Connected to mx-eu.mail.am0.yahoodns.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 mta1084.mail.ird.yahoo.com ESMTP YSmtp service ready
> helo mail.inovapay.com
> 250 mta1084.mail.ird.yahoo.com
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> It does not let me finish typing mes commands. My IP address isn'i
> blacklisted. I can't send any mail to yahoo

    I just tested with this host from different locations:

    - Comcast in the US:

553 5.7.1 [BL21] Connections will not be accepted from x.y.z.a, because the ip is in Spamhaus's list; see http://postmaster.yahoo.com/550-bl23.html
Connection closed by foreign host.

    => it closes the connection immediately

    - Telia in DK (my commands preceded with ->)

    220 mta1071.mail.ukl.yahoo.com ESMTP YSmtp service ready
->  ehlo x0.dk
    250-mta1071.mail.ukl.yahoo.com
    250-8BITMIME
    250-SIZE 41943040
    250 PIPELINING
->  mail from: <regnauld at x0.dk>
    250 sender <regnauld at x0.dk> ok
->  quit
    221 mta1071.mail.ukl.yahoo.com
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    (In this case I quit the connection myself).

    But if you wait 7-8 seconds to type MAIL From after the 250 accept:

    250 mta1033.mail.ird.yahoo.com
-> wait and type nothing
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    ... so maybe you are too slow in typing ? Have you tried copy pasting ?

    Another way to do this is by preparing a text command file:

cat >/tmp/mail <<EOF
EHLO server.domain.com
MAIL FROM: <me at domain.com>
RCPT TO: <myself at gmail.com>