[afnog] IPv6 Progress

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Tue Jul 30 18:10:33 UTC 2013

Hi Seun,

Seun Ojedeji wrote:

> One thing is that we have manufactured for ourselves more reasons to
relax and stick
> with v4. Most of such reason within 2 specific aspects;
> - lots of v4 availability

I do not believe that this is the case. Africa's population is currently
around a billion people and growing. After multicast, private, loopback
and future use IPv4 space is accounted for there are approximately 3.7
billion IPv4 addresses available for everyone in the world. IPv4 doesn't
provide the appropriate order of magnitude of address space for a
well-connected world.

Even if people are limited to IP-enabled handsets, tablets, laptops and
TVs there aren't enough addresses in all of IPv4 to meet the needs of
the people of Africa. Once we add in things like IP-enabled health and
agricultural monitors, utility meters and road traffic management
systems you're zooming way past where IPv4 can cope, even with extensive
use of NAT.

Regards,

Leo