[afnog] IPv6 Progress

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jul 31 04:54:49 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 03:29:35 AM Seun Ojedeji wrote:

> Yeah it is me and you who know that. Those who sign the
> cheques don't especially as their Yahoo.com, Google.com
> and perhaps facebook are currently working for them...

Which, in fairness, is likely the way it should be.

As has always been said, non-technical users should not
really care about what protocol they run on.

> and
> to make it worse, they look at the projected year of v4
> exhaustion in Africa with a smile of comfort :)
> Nevertheless we engineers will keep doing the talking to
> make things happen faster.
> On a lighter note, I wish those critical services we
> access will go native on v6 sooner than expected ;)
> But again that can only remain a wish for quite a while
> as it seem service providers are going to provide access
> on both IP versions for a longer period; at least till
> the fraction on v6 to v4 users becomes significantly
> different.

I think the pressure will come from growth in eye balls that
force operators to start deploying IPv6 to get them access,
than for content to start moving to IPv6.

I mean, there is a lot more dual-stacked content/servrs out
there today than this time two years ago, yet we still see
more IPv4 activity still.

I think user growth will help shift traffic to IPv6, because
at some point, NAT44 and friends will simply be too
cumbersome to scale.