[afnog] UIXP routing problem

Kyle Spencer kyle at stormzero.com
Mon Mar 10 13:20:33 UTC 2014

Hi all,

The UIXP has a /24 (196.223.25.0/24). We assign addresses from this
block to member equipment (e.g. routers) along with our own systems
(e.g. switches, website servers).

Our transit is currently provided by a member network. Unfortunately,
traffic from almost every other local network to [some parts of] our
address space travels the long way. For example, most local networks
offer extremely efficient routes to our RS (196.223.25.12) but
extremely inefficient routes to our website (196.223.25.227).

What is going on here? How can we get better routes to our entire
address space via member networks? Can we simply announce our /24 to
the UIXP route server or will this break something?

Regards,
Kyle Spencer