[afnog] WHAT CAUSES NETWORK TO BE SLOW

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 14:45:18 UTC 2014

On 11/10/2014 15:09, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Saturday, October 11, 2014 03:51:03 PM MOHAMMED Kabiru Hamza
> wrote:
>
>> Please my question is that what causes network to be slow?
>>
>> Awaiting your responses
>
> How long is a piece of string?
>
> Seriously, you'll have to be a lot more specific to get a
> meaningful (or any) response.
>
> Mark.

Hello Kabiru,

While you need to provide more information as requested by Mark, you
also need to understand a bit more about the "Network" and what to
look for. How slow is slow, and how slow can slow be?

When you connect to the Internet, your link is via some technology.
Could be any of:
	1. Satellite Link
	2. HF Radio
	3. Fiber connectivity
	4. Ethernet (up to gigabit)
3 performs better than 2, which performs better than 1 ... (Usually
but mileages may vary).

Next, how large is your pipe? The bigger your pipe, the more
information you can carry. This is called bandwidth. Pipes are
measured in bits/second (bps), Kilobits/second (kbps), megabits/second
(mbps) etc.. So ... a 1Mbps link is half as slow as a 2Mbps. What is
your bandwidth?

Next, How long does it take a packet to travel from your network to,
and back from a well known site on the Internet? If you send a packet
off from your network to say ... Yahoo Server www.yahoo.com ... How
long does it take the packet to come back? This is called the latency
on your network. It is measured in seconds. The smaller, the better.
 Satellite is at best 500ms
 HF is at best 20ms
 Fiber can be as low as 5ms
 Ethernet can be much faster
You can check your latency with [ping website or address]
What is your latency to www.yahoo.com and 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

As your pipe fills up, packets begin to queue up, and your latency
increases. It is possible for fiber to perform as slow as satellite,
if the pipe is sufficiently small for the packets you want to send.

If you are browsing, every time you browse a page, your browser does a
DNS lookup. If you have a caching DNS server on your network, it
speeds up your internet access. Do you have a caching DNS? If not, you
may consider deploying one to speed up your access.

Next Check your utilization ratio. How much incoming packets do you
have, compared to outgoing packets. If it seems the same, then someone
may be using your network to proxy packets. Do you have a firewall
taht you can configure to restrict access to your network and only
allow response packets to what you originated?

Too many factors to consider. Best for all. Know your network. Lets
see how far we can help. I am entering a flying cylinder for a long
haul, and may not respond for another 18hrs.

Good luck.

Sunday.

- --
Sunday Adekunle Folayan
    blog: http://www.sundayfolayan.name.ng
   email: sfolayan at skannet.com.ng, sfolayan at gmail.com
   phone: +234-816-866-7523, +234-802-291-2202
   skype: sfolayan
    fcbk: www.facebook.com/sfolayan
   tweet: sfolayan
linkedin: sfolayan