[afnog] What are the major challenges in enabling Services to run on IPv6?

Malick.Sy at swisscom.com Malick.Sy at swisscom.com
Tue Oct 28 14:18:37 UTC 2014

Thanks Phil.

I get your point, I am still quite attached to v4 and I have not yet had a
customer really push for v6 (neither in this or my previous roles). Most
of our customers (not all but the vast majority) are happy with good old
IPSEC VPNs,BGP, MPLS VPNs, NAT/PAT, standard firewalling, proxies and ³the
devil they know², sure if their IT group are forward thinking and have the
budget and CPU cycles, they may have a few public routable v6 address
space enabled devices. Sure, the v6 evangelists will tell you that there
is built in IPSEC security in v6, etc, etc. The issue is not the strength
of the protocol but the knowledge level of the tech configuring it (IMHO.)
The vast majority of the mail servers, database servers, DNS servers, web
servers, routers, repository servers,file and print servers, firewalls,
switches in the world are currently configured and optimised to run with
v4. I don¹t see that changing in a rush and there will be
³convertor-style² solutions around for a long long time.

Which takes me back to the issue of priority. Of course, you are right, if
deploying a new greenfield location, throw fibre at it, 10G access ports,
multi-homed servers with LACP enabled back to stacked virtual switches
(IRF or Stackwise, insert your favorite switch vendor here), back to back
firewalls, while you¹re at it, throw in IPV6 to every device (if deploying
an Internet of Things site, v6 is your friend, right?); as long as your
budget allows it and you are actually addressing the perceived user need
that you are contracted to address.

I am all for deploying solid, cutting-edge, future-proof solutions and
optimising them, however, some questions I have heard a few times over the
years, from customers and management has been: ³What is the pressing need
for solution x and why is it higher priority than say fixing problem u?
How does it affect our bottom line?"

Thanks again for your comments.
Best Regards,
Malick Sy
Sr. Network Engineer

Swisscom (Switzerland) Ltd.
Hospitality Services
2, chemin du Pavillon
Case Postale 2200
CH-1211 Genève 2

Desk Phone:+41 227 407 585
Cellular Phone:+ 41 794 426 765
Fax Number: +41 227 740 7542
Internet: www.swisscom.com/hospitality
This message contains confidential or privileged information and is
intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you
must not use, copy, disclose, forward or take any action based on this
message or information herein. If you have received this message by error,
please advise the sender immediately and delete this message.