[afren] [ren-accra06] RE: AfREN list and update on materials

Aminu Ibrahim aminu at forum.org.ng
Thu May 17 08:35:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 17, 2007 8:24 am, Derek Keats wrote:

>> > I would offer the AVOIR network to set up a site that integrates all
>> of
>> > these and other communications tools into one application.

thank you, Derek - how very much like you/AVOIR to want to share! i'm
aware that the university of jos is currently doing some training on
Chisimba for developers and users, and we will encourage jos to extend
same to others. may i ask, who else is doing that?

>> AfriNIC is host these services so they may explore a different tool
>> suite or

yes, that's true.

>> may opt to leverage aspects of your offer. You are certainly welcome
>> share in the dissemination/distribution/community however.

and it would be real nice if as many afren members/ institutions as
possible, can take up the challenge of testing/trying/reviewing avoir
products.

the more the number of different and useful activities we do together, the
better our prospects of building a sustainable network and community.

> It would be nice for an African initiative to support the growth of an
> African software ecosystem. So far most of our support is from outside
> Africa. It seems that trust for African solutions might be higher in
> other parts of the world than it is in our own neighbourhood. This is
> something that we have to break.

you are absolutely correct, Derek. trust takes time to build, newness
scares many, and habits are hard to break. however, while it may not look
so to you, believe me, you are doing a great deal and quite successfully
to break that knot. your personal attitude of not holding on tightly to
initiatives and sincerity of purpose are *extremely* appreciated, and you
are cultivating trust much more rapidly than you think.

perhaps Boubakar/ AAU/ AfREN can infact commission such software reviews
in support of AVOIR, as well as some training.

aminu