[afren] Call of expression of interest in participating in eLearning adoption survey

James Kariuki jkariuki at gmail.com
Sat May 31 17:06:41 UTC 2008

Dear all,
My name is James Kariuki, a doctoral candidate at the University of
the Western Cape, South Africa. My research project is on the adoption
of eLearning in Higher education in universities in the Eastern and
Southern African region. It is worth to note that over the last few
decades, there has been a worldwide surge in the use of information
and communication technologies (or digital technologies). There have
been reported mixed results of the 'digital revolution' to the
different angles and spheres of our daily life including education.
However, there is a perceived lack in terms of both research and
success stories in African higher education institutions with regard
to the adoption of digital technologies in teaching and learning
despite their promise and potential. There is therefore need to study
and document the contributing factors, and at the same time develop
frameworks and/or guidelines for successful use of digital
technologies in teaching and learning, popularly known as eLearning.

Your participation in this research on the adoption and use of
eLearning/Learning technologies in Higher Education Institutions
(HEIs) will assist in gathering information about the perceptions,
motivation, organisational and environmental factors affecting the use
of eLearning with the aim of understanding the kind of interventions
required for faster adoption and continued use of eLearning.

The results of this research will be used to make specific
recommendations on the areas of personal characteristics and
attitudes, organisational realignments, technology policy,
implementation, and operations for HEIs for successful adoption of
eLearning.

Participation Criteria
Are you an academic or a teaching professional in higher education?
Are you from any of the following countries (Angola, Botswana,
Burundi, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, South
Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe)?
Would you afford 15-20 minuntes to participate in an online eLearning
Adoption Survey in higher education?

If so, please email send me an email (off list) and I will send you
the link to the survey. The information gathered from this
questionnaire will be totally confidential and the strictest
confidentiality and anonymity is preserved. The survey does not gather
information that can link any response to a participant.

Thanking you in advance.

James Kariuki
University of the Western Cape
Tel: +27 72 037 3284/+27 21 959 3243