[afren] [ren-accra06] RE: AfREN list and update on materials

Zita Wenzel zita at psg.com
Mon May 14 21:56:35 UTC 2007

Hi All,

Since AfREN is AfNOG, AfriNIC, and AAU, let's have those reps break the
tie.  I think hosting has already been discussed, and it would be less
work and more coordinated for the list and web site to be hosted by
AfriNIC.  Of course, mirrors for web sites are always welcomed, that
allows the content to be coordinated rather than duplicated and
potentially not the same.

As Fatou and Pierre have said, it seems like the time to move on to more
substantive discussions.  Fatou:

 >The name is important but don't forgot the others points:
 >how to connect the universities(F.O, Satelitte,...)
 >What to collabore with operators to have best prices
 >etc... [see #8 and 9 below]

and Pierre:

 >Let's now hope to hear more on local/national achievements with
 >regards to developing their university/research networks. [#5 below]

So, how do we move ahead?  Do we have subcommittees on the topics that
came out of the discussion and then discussions and reports and
solutions on those issues:

- building NRENs and RRENs: building a community
- bandwidth: fiber and satellite
- capacity building: more than fiber?
- finding classes: database of courses
- sharing information: how?
- power: problems and solutions
- strategic planning: when?
- money: identifying needs and resources for all
- lobbying: once the money issue is in place
- content for users: distance learning and education
- communication: web site, mailing list, wiki, blog

regards,
Zita