[afren] [ren-accra06] RE: AfREN list and update on materials

Mumuni Dakubu mdakubu at ug.edu.gh
Thu May 17 12:40:06 UTC 2007

Boubakar Barry wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> On 5/17/07, Derek Keats <dkeats at uwc.ac.za <mailto:dkeats at uwc.ac.za>>
> wrote:
>

>     It would be nice for an African initiative to support the growth of an
>     African software ecosystem. So far most of our support is from
>     outside
>     Africa. It seems that trust for African solutions might be higher in
>     other parts of the world than it is in our own neighbourhood. This is
>     something that we have to break.
>

> Let us see with the hosting institution what is possible to do. And I
> think that this go beyond the AfREN list only. Institutions
> represented in our community may find Chisimba an excellent tool for
> communication and sharing. I strongly recommend to test it.
>
> As Aminu did, I would also suggest that everyone who can, join the
> effort being done by the AVOIR network. It's a exemplary collaborative
> action that has produced an excellent tool. There is still a lot to
> do, and there is place for everybody (coding, debugging, localisation,
> documentation, etc.). See http://avoir.uwc.ac.za
> <http://avoir.uwc.ac.za/> for more details.
>
> B.

Dear all,
I immediately supported Derek's idea  because AVOIR is really an example
of  what in my opinion an African Research Education Network with  a
clear vision is, with achievement in Software development  e-learning
etc.  Indeed the University of Ghana is an AVOIR member even though very
weak yet in its contribution but learning hard. AVOIR  is solidly  well
established and working well. There is therefore a lot to be gained and
nothing lost  in AVOIR 's offer!
Cheers
Mumuni