[afren] AfREN list and update on materials

Lucy Lynch llynch at civil-tongue.net
Tue May 8 15:01:25 UTC 2007

On Tue, 8 May 2007, Boubakar Barry wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I hope that you all got back home safe. It was a pleasure seeing you all in
> Abuja and I hope that we will keep exchanging experiences and views online.

I second that!

> I am posting this on both afren at afnog.org and afren at psg.com, as I am not
> sure that the 2 lists are the same; if not, there is a need to merge them
> and to add the list that was created at AAU for the workshop held last
> November in Accra (cc'd).

The psg.com list was merged with the handwritten list from the campus
networks workshop and recreated as afren at afnog.org. I'm working through
the AfREN sign-up sheet to find the remaining addresses from Abuja and
I'd be delighted to add the names from the Accra meeting if you could just
send them to me in a text file.

I have a couple of bad addresses (I can't read everyones handwriting!)
that I'll try to clean up, but the afren at afnog.org list is the right
place to post.

If anyone has friends or colleges who would be interested in this list,
they can add themselves here:

If you want off this list (oh, no, please don't leave...) you can
un-subscribe using the same link.

> Regarding a domain name for AfREN, both afren.net and afren.org are not
> available, as Zita and Randy already said. In  fact, I had checked right
> after the Nairobi meeting in 2006 and they were already taken.
>
> I have reserved afrenforum.net and suggest that we use it. The AAU would
> host the list, but due to the fact that Ghana is currently experiencing
> frequent power outages, it is better to host it in a more reliable
> environment. AfriNIC is ready to host it.

Good choice for the domain name! May I suggest that AfNOG continue to host
the list since it's already up and running and AfriNIC host the web site?

If you and Nii and Adiel should decide to move the list again, I can
provide the current membership lists.

> The workshop report is not ready yet, but the presentations as well as the
> attendees list are available at http://www.aau.org/afren07/ . The report
> will be posted as soon as it gets available and a notice sent to the lists.

Wow. Impressive turn-out from the Nigerians. I hope you'll continue to
mirror this content at the AAU site even after afrenforum.net goes live,
it never hurts to have things available in several places.

On a side note, those of you who attended the AfNOG workshops can find the
workshop materials (and tons of photos) here:

http://ws.afnog.org

I had a wonderful time in Abuja, and I'm looking forward to the
discussions on the list. Thanks to the AfREN partners: AAU, AfNOG, and
AfriNIC for providing this forum.

- Lucy

afren at afnog.org